Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Charles W Fuller


A newspaper advertisement by Myron Lake



1859

Charles W Fuller, a settler from Missouri, gambled on travelers’ impatience to get across the river and stay dry.

By this time, the first rivers of gold had dried up in California. Still, prospectors continued to arrive in the Truckee Meadows, pursuing rumors that gold had been found in the mountains just 20 miles away. The “Rush to Washoe” had begun.

When the first Pony Express riders headed west from St. Joseph, Missouri in 1860, they passed through Mormon Station, some 35 miles south of the Truckee Meadows before crossing the Sierras into California. Other adventurous horsemen discovered a pleasant rest stop at Fuller’s Crossing. Nothing fancy, but shade trees and cool breezes were a relief after weeks of relentless heat in the desert. Snow-topped mountains in the distance gave riders a hint of the rugged terrain that lay between them and Sacramento.

Fuller took up this land and put up some small buildings. He also built a ferry boat for the river. He later constructed a low bridge which had to be fastened down during high water. Still the river could be forded at this point as it was shallow. The old ford ran diagonally from the point where the old gas works were, now the site of the Rialto Theatre, to the present library. Mr. Fuller was very poor and it was said that the first winter he spent at the crossing he wore a blanket tied around his waist as he had sold his only suit of clothes for seed corn.

It was a good location and as travel increased his little inn began to be a welcome sight to travelers. It was only a dugout and shack a little north of where the Riverside now is but travelers did not expect elegance or comfort in those days. The bridge was the important feature to the traveler. It was built in 1860. It was made of logs and heavy timber about six or eight feet lower than the present bridge.

Fuller’s bridge made the trip easier – until the river rose again and demolished the supports. Fuller’s luck seemed about to run out. Behind his back, critics of the bridge called it “Fuller’s Folly”, but the Missourian was determined to try again. He rebuilt the bridge in the spring of 1861, then looked around for a chance to quit the tool-bridge business. It was time to try his luck somewhere else.

In 1861, Fuller sold his bridge and hotel to Myron C. Lake, who renamed the spot Lake's Crossing and soon was charging a toll on the bridge. The Crossing became an important station on one of the main routes between northern California and the silver mines of Virginia City and the Comstock Lode.


A drawing done in 1861 of Virginia Street when Myron Lake owned this area.
The house in the drawing is where the Riverside Hotel now stands.


Circa 1910 Virginia Street. Notice the steel bridge, this was built by the city of Reno.
The white building is the Riverside Hotel. Across the street on Virginia stood Myron Lake's mansion
as seen in the next picture:


The Lake mansion has been moved as seen on the next picture. Notice the stone bridge.


CLICK TO ENLARGE

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Reno facts

Things Every Reno-Sparks Resident Should Know

-Charles William Fuller had the first settlement in Reno
-Shoshone, Washo, Paiute are the 3 Native American tribes represented at Idlewild -Sparks comes from Nevada Governor John Sparks
-Reno is named after General Jesse Lee Reno
-Fourth Street is where the Fight of the Century on July 4, 1910, between Jack Johnson and Jim Jeffries, took place
-The Truckee River was named after a Paiute chief
-TM Ranch near Sutcliff was the first dude ranch
-In Reno, on First and West streets, is the oldest Methodist Church west of the Mississippi
-All of these entertainers worked at the Mapes: Liberace, Danny Thomas, Mae West, Gypsy Rose Lee, Nelson Eddy, Milton Berle, The Marx Brothers, Lena Horne, Ann-Margret, Sammy Davis, Jr., Vic Damone, Lynda Carter
-Ducks ate the Virginia Lake water fountain
-Mills Lane was a former Washoe County DA that parleyed his political hubris into a television career
-The Misfits is a classic screen play about Nevada
-Priscilla J Ford was a mass murderer who was sentenced to death for killing six people and injuring 23 more, driving down a Reno sidewalk on Thanksgiving Day 1980. She died in prison from emphysema Jan 2005
-Masonic Building on Commercial Row and Sierra Street is the oldest standing building in Washoe County
-The Reno tailor who added the first copper rivets to Levi¹s jeans was Jacob Davis
-A famous bird that was impounded by the US Treasury Dept was the Solid-Gold Rooster at John Ascuaga's Nugget
-March 11, 1905 Sparks was incorporated
-There has been four Reno arches
-G. A. Burns of Sacramento came up with “Biggest Little City In The World”
-Morrill Hall is the oldest building at UNR
-Glendale School was the oldest school in Nevada (1864-1958)
-Tad Dunbar has a lifetime news anchor contract
-Just off Angel Street there is a Civil War Cemetery
-According to legend, women threw their wedding rings off of the Virginia St bridge after their divorces
-The art in front of the Federal Building represents a Native American bone artifact
-The flood of 1997 in Reno resulted in the largest 8 day release of water from Lake Tahoe in history, hundreds of millions of dollars in damage, and massive hydrophobia
-Saint Mary¹s Regional Medical Center began as a convent and school in 1897
-George P. Turritin was Reno’s first mayor
-On the site of the Riverside Hotel is where Lakes Crossing started
-April Fool¹s Day, 1868 is the date the town site for Reno was laid out

Sunday, August 3, 2014

UPDATE: 150th Nevada Do-ins

We have about a month and a half until Sept 26th. Maybe it is time for you red shirts to read (if you can) the history of these Nevada chapters.

-Julia C. Bulette #1864-
-"Snowshoe" Thompson #1827-
-I am waiting for a good history page from LJS #1881-


And maybe learn:
-Queho Posse #1919-

Pay your rub at:

SST/JCB Welcome Picnic!

Snowshoe Thompson and Julia C. Bulette chapters are holding a Welcome Picnic

PLEASE follow the directions on the JCB website (link above) to RSVP.

When:
AUG 9TH @ 12PM
Where:
MINER'S PARK, VIRGINIA CITY
There will be hamburgers and hotdogs.
Bring a side dish and drinks!

There will be games for the kids. Let your ‘Lil Ones’ become official chapter ECV Orphans. There will be a $10 rub & sign in for those who want a official “Lambskin” certificate awarded to children – a keepsake to remember the day. For this year only, there is a commemorative 150 Year lambskin available.